Registered Yoga Teachers at the 200hr-500hr level or above must complete continuing education courses every three years to maintain their registration with Yoga Alliance International
The continuing education credits required by registered teachers (at the 200 and 500hr level) fall into two categories: direct teaching and further training. To continue to be part of the registry, RYTs require to accrue a total of 45 CECs (15 a year) in each three -year period in both: Contact and Non-Contact Hours.
CONTINUING EDUCATION STANDARDS
Continuing education consists of both:
Teaching Hours (50) Acquired by teaching a minimum of 50 classroom hours of yoga 15 of which must be within the direct presence of a qualified yoga teacher.
Training Hours (30) Acquired by receiving additional yoga training – both classroom and out of classroom hours are eligible as follows:
• 20 Contact Hours: Contact hours are in-person classroom hours in the physical presence of a qualified yoga teacher or instructor. Continuing Education contact hours can be obtained through yoga teacher training, workshops, seminars, retreats, courses.
• No more than 12 Non-Contact Hours: One non-contact hour for continuing education is three hours or 180 minutes.
Contact CECs can be obtained in any of the five standards categories:
Technique Training Practice: Includes Asana, Pranayama, kriyas, chanting, mantra, Meditation, and other traditional yoga techniques.
Teaching Methodology:Includes principles of demonstration, observation, assisting/correcting, instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, and business aspects of teaching yoga.
Anatomy and Physiology-Includes both human physical anatomy/physiology/biomechanics of Yoga including exercise and fitness knowledge Includes (benefits, contraindications, movement patterns, etc).
Yoga Philosophy/Lifestyle and ethics for yoga teachers.Includes the study of yoga philosophies, yoga lifestyle.
Practicum-Includes students teaching as well as observing and assisting in classes taught by others. practice receiving feedback and hearing/giving feedback. Hours may be a combination of supervised and unsupervised.
Non-contact hours can consist of:
• Taking one of our correspondence course related to yoga, chakras or meditation.
• Publishing yoga books or articles in newsletters, newspapers or magazines Producing yoga videos (3 units every year).
• Attend Body & Mind seminars, workshops, retreats. Please remember to submit certification.
NOTE: Non-Contact CECs can be submitted online. Students can publish their articles on our website and practical videos on our YOUTUBE Channel. There will be an entire section dedicated to CECs articles to help students publish their work.